May Board Meeting Minutes

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 05/08/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:55pm, ended at 7:30pm

In Attendance:

Adam Duvander, Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Todd Kenefesky, Dawn Foster, Raven Zachary, Justin Kistner

Absent:

Josh Bancroft

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Agenda:

* Votes:
o Minor involvement of LoT in LoTV codeathon (mostly making connections, local promotions, and mobilizing volunteers
o Determine leader for Ignite Portland 3 & vote.
o Vote on proposal to rename BarCamp Meetups to the Legion of Tech Happy Hour & new location (rent Lucky Lab room? Other options). See below.
o Vote on proposal for LoT to cover the $85 fee for the TACS 501(c)3 workshop

* Update Agenda:
o Paul
+ Progress on 501(c) (3) status (see link in details below)
+ Schedule working meetings
o Todd
+ Finance Committee Update
+ BarCamp final numbers
+ Bank Balance
o Selena
+ LoT Party
+ Ignite hosting migration
+ Ignite 3 Sponsors $ update
o Audrey
+ Survey
+ People have been asking me when they can get a LoT t-shirt. Do we want to do this?
o Raven
+ Updates?
o Dawn
+ BarCamp review
+ Posting minutes after the Board meetings
o Justin
+ Updates?
o Josh
+ Updates?
o Adam
+ T-shirt experience
+ Other individual donation opportunities

Notes regarding agenda posted to Google Group prior to Board Meeting:

* Dawn
o BarCamp Meetup Proposal: Rename to Legion of Tech Happy Hour. Hold at the same time (4th Thurs from 5:30-7:30). Location: issue is that we have outgrown Jive. Requirements for new space: private room larger than Jive (allows us to do introductions & mingle); same location every month (roving meetups are just too labor intensive to organize); somewhere with food & drinks. Proposal: Lucky Lab. Ideally get a sponsor to cover the room & a round of beer.
o BarCamp went very well. Feedback was mostly positive with minor suggestions for improvement. Would still like to keep it at Cubespace. People would like to see us do it more often, but we’d need to talk about sponsorship / volunteer burnout with more frequent events. Details here: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdxgh6t_61d3xd86hc
o Any chance I can recruit someone to manage the review process and posting of minutes to the LoT blog?  (Raven?)
* Audrey
o Survey: As of Wednesday morning we have 253 responses. I need help from everyone continuing to promote this on local mailing lists and blogs. Also: those of you with local tech coworkers, can you send it to internal lists?
* Adam
o T-shirt experience – how did it go? annoying to deal with money?
o Other individual donation opportunities?
* Paul
o We drafted up the 501(c)3 narrative, for people to look over after the meeting in preparation for the next working session: http://groups.google.com/group/legion-of-tech-bod/web/501c3-narrative

Meeting Minutes:

Discussed Legion of Tech involvement in the League of Technical Voters Code-a-Thon to take place around OSCON in late July 2008. SIlona wanted support finding volunteers and helping promote the event. The Board voted to proceed with helping in this event on a limited basis.

Discussed Ignite Portland 3 leadership role. Raven asked to take less of a role for this event due to a busy schedule over the summer and timing conflict with his organization of iPhoneDevCamp 2 and being out of town for the first two weeks of June. Justin Kistner volunteered to be the lead for this event. The Board approved. Regarding the selection of speakers, the Board decided for the Board membership to be the selection committee this time. The Board will meet several weeks before the event to select speakers. Ignite Portland 3 planning meetings will be held every Thursday at E-San during lunch. Justin will plan for a meeting in the next week to start the process.

Discussed the renaming of the BarCamp Meetups to the Legion of Tech Happy Hour and move to a new location as we have outgrown the space at Jive Software. Various venues were discussed. The Board approved the rename and move. A venue will be decided soon – if no venue can be selected by the next Board meeting, we will use the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne and pay for the $100 room fee. No Happy Hour will be held during the month of May. Audrey will send out an email about the cancellation of the May event.

The Board approved the $85 fee for the TACS 501(c)3 workshop.

Paul gave an update on the 501(c)(3) Narrative text. The current narrative draft text on the Google Group was reviewed. The Board will schedule a meeting to work through the Narrative.

Todd gave a Finance Committee update. BarCamp sponsorships received $8,905.60. Outstanding $1,000.00 from PSU, will be paid directly to CubeSpace for expenses. T-shirts sold online $879.52. T-shirts sold on-site $605.00. Total raised for BarCamp: $11,390.12. BarCamp 2 Costs $9,731.91. Retained $1,658.21. Gross Bank Balance $13,599.44. Net Bank Balance $2,500.00 ESTIMATE. Actual figure to be reported after Finance Committee meeting Tuesday. Ignite Portland 3 sponsorships received $0.00.

Discussed whether we should provide food at Ignite Portland 3. Tabled this for review at the Ignite planning meetings.

Todd brought up the idea of special speaker events in Portland, produced by Legion of Tech. The Board discussed this opportunity.

Selena gave an update on the Legion of Tech kickoff party. The Board discussed rolling this into the first Legion of Tech Happy Hour.

Selena gave an update on the hosting migration for the Ignite Portland website. GoDaddy is having problems with the DNS records. Selena is working with GoDaddy tech support on the problems.

Selena gave an update on Ignite Portland 3 sponsors. Vidoop is interested. Beer Chips is providing free chips. Ziba is going to sponsor. Dawn will talk to Jive. Selena talked about getting sponsors to do 15-second segments instead of stage introductions.

Audrey gave an update on the survey, there have been 281 responses so far. Audrey is aiming for 1,000 responses. 20% of the respondents are female. Audrey is working on spreading the word. Audrey showed an age distribution graph – the majority of respondents are 26-35 years old.

Dawn gave a post-mortem on BarCamp, based on the closing session at BarCamp. Good feedback received. Talked about attendance. Several Board members thought attendance was lower than expected.

Dawn talked about the Board meeting minutes review process. She would like to pass this responsibility on to someone else. Raven will take over this role as the Secretary.

Justin gave a brief update on the new website for Ignite Portland. Reviewed the new WordPress design that will launch in the next few days. Justin recommended that we look at WordPress MU in the future to manage multiple sites.

Adam and Raven gave a t-shirt update.  40 extra t-shirts ordered for sale at BarCamp. We ended up with 7 extra women’s shirts, but not enough 2XL or M sized shirts, based on demand. Brian Jamison still owes money for his t-shirt. Todd will email him a PayPal invoice. Pre-ordering went well – several people did not pick up shirts, all given out to friends to deliver. Discussed various options for online t-shirt ordering for Legion of Tech t-shirts.

Adam talked about taking money from individuals for future event production as donations. One idea was paying for lunch.

Discussed moving Ignite Portland 3 later in the evening so that people will have time to eat dinner before attending and to save on food costs.

One thought on “May Board Meeting Minutes

  1. Pingback: Silicon Florist’s links arrangement for June 19 » Silicon Florist

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.