I wanted to let everyone know that the Legion of Tech board elections are coming up in December. Anyone who wants to run for a board seat is welcome to participate in the election process.
The Election Process
- Nominations are due November 1.
- Anyone not currently on the board who wishes to run for a board seat must be nominated by an existing director and seconded by another existing director.
- Current board members may automatically run for re-election.
- Elections will be held at the December board meeting with the current board voting on the new board.
- The new board will begin serving their terms on January 1, 2009.
Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
Board members are elected to 2-year terms and are responsible for upholding the bylaws of the organization. They are also required to attend monthly board meetings.
The day to day responsibilities of the board may include any or all of the following:
- Organize events like BarCampPortland, Ignite Portland, etc. by leading the team or participating as a volunteer.
- Attend Legion of Tech events.
- Attend board meetings the second Thursday of the month, in person or by phone.
- Come up with ideas for new events or ways to improve existing events.
- Collaborate with community members and make/maintain connections with other organizations.
- Participate in organizational maintenance activities including maintaining the technology, revising the bylaws, finance, taxes, accounting, etc.
- Chair or participate on committees like the Finance Committee and the Technology Committee.
- Board members may also be elected to serve on the executive committee as Chair, Treasurer or Secretary.
If you want to get more involved, but do not want to serve on the board of directors, Legion of Tech will also be forming an advisory committee made up of 5-10 people from the community (non-board members).
Purpose of the committee:
- Provide feedback on Legion of Tech activities
- Act as a few more eyes and ears in the community
- Get more people involved in Legion of Tech
How it works:
- Nominations are due on December 1.
- This would be an informal group (not specified in the bylaws) and with no voting rights.
- A current board member must nominate a person for the committee.
- Voting would occur at the January board meeting (new board votes on committee membership).
- Informal committee meetings will be held approximately monthly.
What you need to do
If you are interested in running for the Legion of Tech board or the Advisory Committee, please contact your favorite member of the existing board to request a nomination. Keep in mind that the nominations are due on November 1 for the board of directors and on December 1 for the Advisory Committee.