Legion of Tech Board Meeting Minutes

We’ve been a little disorganized about posting the board meeting minutes lately. I wish I had some elaborate excuse like, “the dog ate my blog post”, or something like that. While we were diligently taking notes and sharing them with other board members, I was forgetting to post them here for the rest of you to read. As of now, I am completely caught up on the minutes, and you can find them conveniently organized on a single page by year.

So, feel free to catch up on what we’ve been up to and post any questions, comments, or snide remarks here on this post.

Board Meeting Minutes for June 2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 06/12/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:55pm, ended at 8:45pm

In Attendance:
Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Todd Kenefesky, Dawn Foster, Justin Kistner (phone), Adam DuVander

Absent:
Raven Zachary, Josh Bancroft

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Agenda:

* Votes:
o Legion of Talk decision
Board approved July Legion of Talk event with Gary Vaynerchuk only
o WordCamp Decision
Board rejected the proposal at this time.
o “CubeCamp” (spawn of My Other Thing) Decision (selena)
Board approved conditional to name change, no-cost event, and firming up the roles and responsibilities
o WhereCamp PDX
Board approved conditional to October date, sponsors outside our standard pool, and organizing committee made up of at least half of non-board members
o Technology and Infrastructure committee consisting of Audrey (leader), Selena, and Adam
Board approved

* Update Agenda:
o Paul
+ Progress on 501(c)3 application
Feedback on 501(c)3 class. Compared to other organizations, we are ahead of the game.
Paul needs financial forecast from Finance Committee. FC will discuss at next meeting.
+ Schedule happy hour working meetings
Paul will schedule meeting at beginning of week after Ignite (June 23 or 24)
+ Meet with TACS on June 26th at 9:30am
Selena and Paul will attend.
o Todd
+ Finance Committee Update
Finance committee meeting on Saturday.
+ Bank Balance
Finance: $4,500 in account. $2,000 net balance.
+ Legion of Talk update
We have a speaker (Gary Vaynerchuk), a venue, and a sponsor
Discussion of technical community and whether we are serving the harder technical community members. Board will vote on only the current Legion of Talk and discuss future Legion of Talk events in the future.
+ Revisit long term planning for LoT. Form committee?
Board wants to brainstorm where we are headed with the organization. Dawn will put together an initial group meeting.
+ Propose Ignite-like event (Ignite probably not in name), shorter, topics all tech-related done in conjunction with BarCamp.
Discussion of Lightning Talk / Brown bag lunch event, with many small, technical talks. Selena and Audrey will lead sometime in the fall. To be discussed at August board meeting.
o Selena
+ LoT Party
Canceled the LoT kick-off party. Will focus on LoT Happy Hour
+ Ignite 3 Sponsors $ update
Pledged: $4,300; Received: $2,800
+ CubeCamp
Extension of My Other Thing session at BarCamp
Discussed that name is associated with CubeSpace. Group decided we would have to rename.
Discussed that the cost is contrary to how other events are free
o Audrey
+ WhereCamp PDX
October event for location-based services and other mapping-related topics
Legion of Tech would do sponsor work
Audrey will lead, Selena will do sponsors, Justin will put together website
+ Starting a LoT technology committee
Sub-committee in charge of maintaining our websites, blog, wiki, software (ticketing, proposal), graphic assets (sponsor logos), passwords
Public issue tracker for others to add technical problems
Committee will consist of three technical board members. Currently: Audrey, Selena, Adam
+ Event planning process–How can we make things run more smoothly?
Discussed ways to be more visible to the community and not appear secretive
Audrey and Selena will send a proposal to the BOD mailing list
o Dawn
+ Legion of Tech Happy Hour (was BarCamp Meetups)
Discussed alternate locations and the downsides of aligning with any one company
Dawn will call Plan B about using patio
+ WordCamp
Tentative September 27
Board does not feel comfortable with only covering the money-accepting angle.
No board member is available to lead the event
o Adam
+ Involving more of our community
Involve volunteers more in the planning process and groom them for leading in the future
Board will discuss in the future how to handle individual contributions

May Board Meeting Minutes

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 05/08/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:55pm, ended at 7:30pm

In Attendance:

Adam Duvander, Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Todd Kenefesky, Dawn Foster, Raven Zachary, Justin Kistner

Absent:

Josh Bancroft

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Agenda:

* Votes:
o Minor involvement of LoT in LoTV codeathon (mostly making connections, local promotions, and mobilizing volunteers
o Determine leader for Ignite Portland 3 & vote.
o Vote on proposal to rename BarCamp Meetups to the Legion of Tech Happy Hour & new location (rent Lucky Lab room? Other options). See below.
o Vote on proposal for LoT to cover the $85 fee for the TACS 501(c)3 workshop

* Update Agenda:
o Paul
+ Progress on 501(c) (3) status (see link in details below)
+ Schedule working meetings
o Todd
+ Finance Committee Update
+ BarCamp final numbers
+ Bank Balance
o Selena
+ LoT Party
+ Ignite hosting migration
+ Ignite 3 Sponsors $ update
o Audrey
+ Survey
+ People have been asking me when they can get a LoT t-shirt. Do we want to do this?
o Raven
+ Updates?
o Dawn
+ BarCamp review
+ Posting minutes after the Board meetings
o Justin
+ Updates?
o Josh
+ Updates?
o Adam
+ T-shirt experience
+ Other individual donation opportunities

Notes regarding agenda posted to Google Group prior to Board Meeting:

* Dawn
o BarCamp Meetup Proposal: Rename to Legion of Tech Happy Hour. Hold at the same time (4th Thurs from 5:30-7:30). Location: issue is that we have outgrown Jive. Requirements for new space: private room larger than Jive (allows us to do introductions & mingle); same location every month (roving meetups are just too labor intensive to organize); somewhere with food & drinks. Proposal: Lucky Lab. Ideally get a sponsor to cover the room & a round of beer.
o BarCamp went very well. Feedback was mostly positive with minor suggestions for improvement. Would still like to keep it at Cubespace. People would like to see us do it more often, but we’d need to talk about sponsorship / volunteer burnout with more frequent events. Details here: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdxgh6t_61d3xd86hc
o Any chance I can recruit someone to manage the review process and posting of minutes to the LoT blog?  (Raven?)
* Audrey
o Survey: As of Wednesday morning we have 253 responses. I need help from everyone continuing to promote this on local mailing lists and blogs. Also: those of you with local tech coworkers, can you send it to internal lists?
* Adam
o T-shirt experience – how did it go? annoying to deal with money?
o Other individual donation opportunities?
* Paul
o We drafted up the 501(c)3 narrative, for people to look over after the meeting in preparation for the next working session: http://groups.google.com/group/legion-of-tech-bod/web/501c3-narrative

Meeting Minutes:

Discussed Legion of Tech involvement in the League of Technical Voters Code-a-Thon to take place around OSCON in late July 2008. SIlona wanted support finding volunteers and helping promote the event. The Board voted to proceed with helping in this event on a limited basis.

Discussed Ignite Portland 3 leadership role. Raven asked to take less of a role for this event due to a busy schedule over the summer and timing conflict with his organization of iPhoneDevCamp 2 and being out of town for the first two weeks of June. Justin Kistner volunteered to be the lead for this event. The Board approved. Regarding the selection of speakers, the Board decided for the Board membership to be the selection committee this time. The Board will meet several weeks before the event to select speakers. Ignite Portland 3 planning meetings will be held every Thursday at E-San during lunch. Justin will plan for a meeting in the next week to start the process.

Discussed the renaming of the BarCamp Meetups to the Legion of Tech Happy Hour and move to a new location as we have outgrown the space at Jive Software. Various venues were discussed. The Board approved the rename and move. A venue will be decided soon – if no venue can be selected by the next Board meeting, we will use the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne and pay for the $100 room fee. No Happy Hour will be held during the month of May. Audrey will send out an email about the cancellation of the May event.

The Board approved the $85 fee for the TACS 501(c)3 workshop.

Paul gave an update on the 501(c)(3) Narrative text. The current narrative draft text on the Google Group was reviewed. The Board will schedule a meeting to work through the Narrative.

Todd gave a Finance Committee update. BarCamp sponsorships received $8,905.60. Outstanding $1,000.00 from PSU, will be paid directly to CubeSpace for expenses. T-shirts sold online $879.52. T-shirts sold on-site $605.00. Total raised for BarCamp: $11,390.12. BarCamp 2 Costs $9,731.91. Retained $1,658.21. Gross Bank Balance $13,599.44. Net Bank Balance $2,500.00 ESTIMATE. Actual figure to be reported after Finance Committee meeting Tuesday. Ignite Portland 3 sponsorships received $0.00.

Discussed whether we should provide food at Ignite Portland 3. Tabled this for review at the Ignite planning meetings.

Todd brought up the idea of special speaker events in Portland, produced by Legion of Tech. The Board discussed this opportunity.

Selena gave an update on the Legion of Tech kickoff party. The Board discussed rolling this into the first Legion of Tech Happy Hour.

Selena gave an update on the hosting migration for the Ignite Portland website. GoDaddy is having problems with the DNS records. Selena is working with GoDaddy tech support on the problems.

Selena gave an update on Ignite Portland 3 sponsors. Vidoop is interested. Beer Chips is providing free chips. Ziba is going to sponsor. Dawn will talk to Jive. Selena talked about getting sponsors to do 15-second segments instead of stage introductions.

Audrey gave an update on the survey, there have been 281 responses so far. Audrey is aiming for 1,000 responses. 20% of the respondents are female. Audrey is working on spreading the word. Audrey showed an age distribution graph – the majority of respondents are 26-35 years old.

Dawn gave a post-mortem on BarCamp, based on the closing session at BarCamp. Good feedback received. Talked about attendance. Several Board members thought attendance was lower than expected.

Dawn talked about the Board meeting minutes review process. She would like to pass this responsibility on to someone else. Raven will take over this role as the Secretary.

Justin gave a brief update on the new website for Ignite Portland. Reviewed the new WordPress design that will launch in the next few days. Justin recommended that we look at WordPress MU in the future to manage multiple sites.

Adam and Raven gave a t-shirt update.  40 extra t-shirts ordered for sale at BarCamp. We ended up with 7 extra women’s shirts, but not enough 2XL or M sized shirts, based on demand. Brian Jamison still owes money for his t-shirt. Todd will email him a PayPal invoice. Pre-ordering went well – several people did not pick up shirts, all given out to friends to deliver. Discussed various options for online t-shirt ordering for Legion of Tech t-shirts.

Adam talked about taking money from individuals for future event production as donations. One idea was paying for lunch.

Discussed moving Ignite Portland 3 later in the evening so that people will have time to eat dinner before attending and to save on food costs.

April Board Meeting Minutes

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 04/10/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:45pm, ended at 6:35pm

In Attendance:

Justin Kistner, Todd Kenefsky, Adam Duvander, Audrey Eschright, Paul Biggs, Raven Zachary

Absent:

Selena Deckelmann, Josh Bancroft, Dawn Foster

Meeting Minutes:

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Proposed Agenda:

•    Votes:
?    Continue pursuit of 501 (c)(3)
•    Updates:
?    Paul
?    Progress on 501(c) (3) status
?    Schedule working meetings
?    Todd
?    Finance Committee Update
?    Startupalooza Sponsor Final numbers
?    Ignite 3 Sponsors $ update
?    BarCamp Sponsors update
?    Bank Balance
?    Fiscal years?
?    Raven leading IP3?
?    Ignite 4 feasibility study
?    Selena
?    BarCamp Sponsor update
?    LoT Party
?    Audrey
?    Survey
?    Raven
?    Ignite3 Update
?    Dawn
?    BarCamp updates
?    Adam
?    Updates?
?    Justin
?    Updates?
?    Josh
?    Updates?
•    Updates (enter your updates here prior to the meeting):
•    Dawn
?    BarCamp – Need a big push for sponsors right now. This will drive how much we can spend on food / t-shirts / etc. We should all be reaching out to our network and soliciting sponsors.
•    Audrey
?    Survey: no new news. It might help if someone could meet up with me to finalize the questions to ask. I just need a prod to get this ready for people to respond.

Paul provided an update on the 501(c)(3) status. No progress this month on this project. Need to schedule a meeting with TACS, a group that helps non-profits, provides advice for forming non-profits. Meeting with TACS not yet scheduled.

Todd mentioned that we are not filing certain papers (he did not have specific information) with the state that could jeopardize our filing date, discussed the option to give up the effort to pursue a 501(c)(3) status. Selena and Dawn have the specific information.

Discussions the benefits of 501(c)(3) – mostly focused around tax-exempt donation benefits.

Justin will talk to his friend who already went through the process to setup a 501(c)(3).

The Board decided to postpone a vote on pursuing 501(c)(3) status, pending more information on this. This issue will be discussed through the mailing list.

Todd provided a Finance Committee update. Since the last meeting, Selena’s mom (a CPA) has drafted an official spreadsheet for tracking finances properly. Selena has been unavailable to train Todd on this. Todd has been keeping track using the old system.

$3,100 in sponsorship revenue for Startupalooza, received all but $500. Kevin Spence is in the process of changing banks, and POSSE, which has been late. $1,750 spent on Startupalooza. Carryover form Startupalooza will be used for BarCamp Portland 2 in May 2008.

Ignite Portland 3 so far raised $500 in pledged sponsorships. $0 received. Haven’t solicited for sponsors yet.

Bar Camp $2,050 pledged, independent of the carryover from Startupalooza. Received $500 of this, AboutUs and Stoel Rives LLC.

Net reserves right now of approximately $2,000 in the bank.

Adam talked to Dawn on BarCamp sponsorships – we don’t have set amounts for sponsors, we encourage $250 for individual, $500 for small company, and $1,000 for the larger companies.

No update on the fiscal year provided.

Ignite Portland 3. Selected Wednesday June 18th at Bagdad Theater. Todd will confirm date and provide initial payment. Todd will work with Igal for the ticketing system. Todd will do final confirmation with Bagdad Theater before we announce the event publicly. Discussed moving the website to improve performance. Also discussed doing a new WordPress theme specifically for the Ignite Portland event. Todd and Justin will talk about a weekend WordPress design effort.

Todd talked about doing Ignite Portland 4 in August or September in Pioneer Square for the general public. Todd will explore and report back to the board.

Selena was not present, skipped her update items.

Audrey discussed the event attendance demographics survey. No new updates. Audrey talked about doing a working lunch to work on this.

Raven talked about deciding on a voting procedure for proposals for Ignite Portland 3. A number of options were discussed. One plan would be board members + several Ignite alumni + a community aggregate through public polling. It was agreed not to do final voting for speakers over lunch – too much noise. No decisions were made.

Raven asked Todd to create a PayPal tonight for our corporate bank account. Todd agreed.

Adam raised the issue of taking money directly from individuals during an event, such as paid t-shirts for BarCamp Portland. The board did not see this to be a problem.

Adam gave a status update on t-shirts for BarCamp Portland. Has a quote from a company – won’t do on-site service. Plan to ask people in advance for shirt sizes and have an inventory to sell at the event or possibly pay online and pick up the shirt at the event.

Audrey asked about the Tech Garage Sale. Raven had no update to provide to the board.

March Board Meeting Minutes

Board Meeting Logisitics:

March 13, 2008
5:45 PM
Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500

Present:

Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Selena Deckelmann, Adam Duvander, Audrey Eschright, Paul Biggs, Justin Kistner

Absent:

Josh Bancroft

Updates:

Progress on 501(c) (3) status (Paul)

  • Conflict of Interest Policy up for review by Board
  • This is to make sure that the money we spend isn’t done in personal interest
  • Paul/Selena met with Becky Blumer from Hands on Portland
  • Going to contact TACS for some help with our filing
  • Working Session output — document published to the google group
  • Need to re-write bylaws and focus on our core mission, rather than idealistic goals
  • Next step: READ EVERYTHING ON THE WIKI
  • Schedule a working session

Votes:

Go / No go on Legion of Tech Garage Sale idea (Raven)

  • Vote: Approved — unanimous

Go / No go on LoT Kickoff Party assuming we have someone to approve costs (sponsorship) (Selena)

  • Status: Gotham, Side Door, Lucky Lab ?
  • Vote: Approved (unanimous)
  • Selena, Justin, Paul to work on this project

Sponsor a survey of the Portland tech community to learn more about our demographics (Audrey–already working on this, would like to put the LoT name on it)

  • Status: We don’t know as much as we’d like about the local community, Audrey would like to lead this effort.
  • Vote: Approved (unanimous)

Updates:

Finance Committee Update (Todd)

  • Startupalooza Sponsor $ update (March 29) $1600 in pledge, $800 outstanding (need $1000 more)
  • Ignite 3 Sponsors $ update: Beerchips, Ziba design, Toonlet: $800 pledges
  • Ignite 2: We received all of the checks from Ignite
  • Barcamp sponsors: $750 pledged ($500 outstanding)
  • Bank Balance: $2018.68 (Net $918 reserves)
  • Fiscal year: Tentatively planning to make it the end of September

LoT Logo Coloring (Justin)

  • New Logo discussed
  • Will vote over email

Ignite3 Updates (Raven)

  • Urgently need a date in June
  • Week of June 16th at the Bagdad
  • Todd to check in with them about Tuesday/Wednesday
  • Working with Igal on the registration system
  • Lessons learned: could use some extra time to preview the slides

Startupalooza updates (Todd)

  • All the speakers are in!

BarCamp updates (Dawn)

  • Things are underway, waiting on sponsorship money to decide how much food

Discussion about needing to set some working meetings to hammer though some startup stuff

  • Bylaws revisions
  • Narrative
  • WORKING MEETING: 3/18/08, 6:30pm SIDE DOOR

Opens:

Ideas to make these board meetings more efficient.

  • Per person updates
  • Send updates ahead of the meeting – 24 hours before the meeting
  • Conference calls for subcommitee meetings

When to meet with Steve Gehlen?

  • Working session with available board members in the next week scheduled

NXNW – We think this would be too big to do as a community event, so LoT will not offer to coordinate this potential event.

Legion of Tech Board Meeting Minutes 2008-2-11

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Monday, 02/11/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:48pm, ended at 7:40pm

In Attendance:

Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Selena Deckelmann, Adam Duvander, Audrey Eschright, Paul Biggs

Absent:

Josh Bancroft, Justin Kistner

Meeting Minutes:

Discussed going to board for approval of all events. Call for votes for all events pending for official purposes.

Vote: PASSED, Adoption of a policy of not holding Legion of Tech events along side commercial conferences with commercial interests, unless exception is made by a vote of the majority of the Legion of Tech board.

Request for this policy to be documented for publication, for this reasoning to be made clear to others.

Vote: PASSED, Do not proceed with Ignite Portland at Innotech in April 2008, based on the new policy adoption regarding commercial events.

Raven Zachary will contact Sean Lowery to inform him of the decision.

Vote: PASSED, Do not proceed with Ignite Portland at OSCON in July 2008, based on the new policy adoption regarding commercial events.

Dawn Foster will contact Allison Randal to inform her of the decision.

Vote: PASSED, Do not proceed with Ignite Portland at Inverge, based on the new policy adoption regard commercial events.

Todd Kenefsky will contact Steve Gehlen to inform him of the decision.

Vote: PASSED, Proceed with Startupalooza in March 2008.

Vote: PASSED, Proceed with BarCamp Portland 2 in May 2008.

Discussed evolving the monthly BarCamp Meetups into a monthly Legion of Tech happy hour, possibly at a larger venue than Jive Software. Various options were discussed. No decisions were made. The topic was tabled.

Vote: PASSED, Holding a Legion of Tech kickoff party for the community, including information on what Legion of Tech is. Paul Biggs and Selena Deckelmann will manage this effort. Venue and dates to be determined.

501(c)(3) status update. Todd Kenefsky and Paul Biggs spent time talking with Steve Gehlen about the 501(c)(3) paperwork process last week. Discussed various options for 501(c)(3) paperwork resources. Financial projections and mission statement development were specifically discussed. Raven Zachary will look into The Company Corporation (incorporate.com) as an option.

Tuesday, February 19th, 6:30pm, work meeting on Mission Statement at the Side Door, 425 SE Washington.

Finance Committee Update. $968.68 funds available, takes into account $249.44 left over form Ignite Portland 1. Total sponsorship revenue from Ignite Portland 2 of $4525.00. Waiting for Intel Software Network and Voyager Capital on delayed sponsorship payments. We expect a larger balance once remaining sponsor checks are received. $2,268.68 to be expected as a balance. Ignite Portland 2 total costs. $3,055.76. $2176.55 on the Bagadad, food/facilities/AV. $455 in insurance. $150 in supplies.

Fiscal year was discussed. No decision has been made on the Legion of Tech fiscal year. Finance Committee discussed financial policies and procedures. The matter is still under consideration and formal policies to be submitted to the board at a later date.

Legion of Tech logo – we have a black and white logo design. Color treatments are being designed now. Justin Kistner is working on a vector version of the logo for digital use. We will send a thank you card for the logo designer at the next meeting.

Ignite Portland 2 debrief. Wednesday, February 13th. Noon at E-San Thai, 133 SW 2nd Avenue. Some discussion of overall event issues. Consideration to avoid mainstream media publicity in the future. Did not vote on this issue. Some ideas for a more efficient registration was discussed. Discussed the possibility of moving sponsor presentations to the middle of the event, rather than at the beginning.

Ignite Portland 3 update. Plan to move the event to June to avoid conflicting with scheduling and sponsor needs for Startupalooza and BarCamp Portland 2.

Startupalooza update. Has been on hold for a bit due to Ignite Portland 2 planning. $250 in sponsorships right now (Stoel Rives LLC). Kevin Spence is talking about pre-paying for a number of events. Looking for more sponsors.

BarCamp update. Starting planning meetings, 5pm at Cubespace on Tuesday, February 12th. It will cost about $1,600 for the space, $750 for staff, $300 for AC, $250 snacks, $300 for extra cleaning. We will try for enough sponsorships for catered meals.

Beaver BarCamp update. Discussed ways to support the event in Corvallis. Many of the board members will not be able to attend the event.

Legion of Tech Garage Sale idea. Explained idea for tech garage sale at Cubespace. DorkBot has been interested in doing this, as well. Idea of whatever is not sold, donation opportunity to FreeGeek. Board did not want to accept CRT monitors, due to cost, size and weight.

Vote: PASSED. Proceed with Legion of Tech Garage Sale, pending additional information. Raven Zachary will report back to the board via email.

Discussed presentation voting for future Ignite Portland events. Raven Zachary will propose some ideas and discuss at the next board meeting.

Discussed sponsorships. Some concern about donor fatigue for our number of events. Tabled until the next board meeting.

Discussed event playbook (documentation). Desire to capture the best practices for event production.

Discussed SocialGraph Foo Camp event that Scott Kveton attended. Some discussion about encouraging a similar event in Portland.

Discussed TechShop opening in Portland. Some discussion of Legion of Tech reaching out to TechShop.

Discussed grants opportunities for Legion of Tech. Tabled until the next board meeting.

Legion of Tech Board Meeting Minutes 2008-01-10

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 01/10/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:45pm, ended at 7:15pm

In Attendance:

Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Justin Kistner, Raven Zachary, Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Adam Duvander

Absent:

Josh Bancroft

Meeting Minutes:

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Proposed Agenda:

Votes:
- Discuss and ratify process for approving board minutes for posting to the blog. See proposed process below (Dawn)

Reminders:
- All add contact info to contacts page, if haven’t done so.
- Update LOT wiki

Updates:
- Progress on 501(c) (3) status (Paul)
- Finance Committee Update (Todd)
- Ignite Sponsor $ update
- Bank Account
- Fiscal year?
- LoT Logo (Audrey)
- Ignite2 Updates (Josh)
- Ignite3 Updates (Raven)
- Startupalooza updates (Todd)
- BarCamp updates (Dawn)

Opens:
- Portland Social Media updates (Justin / Josh)
- Legion of Tech Kick-Off party (Todd)
- Community / Forums Idea (Adam / Dawn)
- Other Opens

Proposed process for publishing board minutes

Review options for dealing with the meeting minutes.

Proposed process for publishing board minutes:
- Minutes should be posted no later than 2 business days after the meeting to the Legion of Tech BOD Google Group
- Board members have 7 days to make any corrections / clarifications to the official minutes
- After this 7 day period, the board minutes will be posted to the Legion of Tech blog or website.
- (Or vote at next BOD meeting?)

Process for dealing with the meeting minutes was approved with one modification. If there is a concern about the minutes and the group cannot reach agreement on the resolution, the minutes will be brought to the next meeting for a vote prior to publication.

Reminder for board members to add contact info to the contact page, including address, on the Google Group.

Reminder to update the Legion of Tech wiki for information – events, best practices, etc.

Update on the progress of the 501(c)(3) paperwork. Some discussion of ambiguous questions on the 501(c)(3) paperwork. Discussed getting assistance from people who have done this before. We may need to re-draft the bylaws, without the editorial description of what we do as an organization. The descriptive text form the bylaws can probably be re-used for the ‘narrative description’ in the 501(c)(3) paperwork. Paul Biggs will follow up with Steve Gehlen for help with the 501(c)(3) paperwork.

Finance committee update. Roughly $2,800 in Ignite Portland 2 sponsorships. Saltmine and Kevin Spence have committed to sponsoring. Amounts from these sponsors are still being determined. No sponsorship tiers. We are asking for $250 as an entry sponsorship level. There is some flexibility below $250, in some circumstances. Discussed whether a meal will be paid for at the event – this has not yet ben determined. The decision is based on the amount of sponsorship dollars collected. We do not have a bank account yet. Todd Kenefsky will do this by next week. Accepting sponsor pledges now – not taking funds until the account is setup. Talked about fees related to PayPal and the possibility of getting a Merchant Account. We will encourage sponsors to send a check to avoid PayPal fees, if possible. Discussed setting a fiscal year. The board tentatively approved (non-vote) October 1st as the beginning of the fiscal year, pending more investigation. Selena Deckelmann and Adam Duvander volunteered to join the finance committee. The finance committee will consist of Todd Kenefsky, Selena Deckelmann, and Adam Duvander.

Update on Legion of Tech logo design effort. Audrey Eschright displayed seven logo concepts drawn by Katie Moody. The board prefers the first concept, which includes a cog design with the letters LT – want to revisions to this concept including more circuit board and electrical ideas. Colors will be explored. Justin Kistner will provide color feedback by tomorrow (01/11/08).

Update on Ignite Portland 2. $800 will be required in food and drink from the Bagdad Theater. $450 for insurance will required. A large number of submissions already. The deadline is January 15th. Discussed various presentation proposals. Adam Duvander will contact David Vanadia, asking him to submit a different topic for consideration before the deadline.

Update on Ignite Portland 3. Sean Lowry from Prospera Events will cover space within the Oregon Convention Center as part of the InnoTech Conference, which takes place on April 16/17. We’d have to pay for food/drink cost. Look for a showcase sponsor to pay for the entire catering cost. Need to confirm that Sean is covering insurance, A/V, all costs other than food, and will provide marketing input. Raven Zachary will follow-up.

Update on Startupalooza. DNS problems with the website being resolved right now with GoDaddy. First meeting for Startuplooza is tomorrow. Speakers are starting to be lined up now. Looking at sponsorships. Demos and presentations for the format. The date is Mach 29th at Cubespace from 12noon to 7pm. Todd Kenefsky is leading this effort.

Update on BarCamp Portland 2. Trying to nail down a date. It is probably going to be May 2/3/4. We are going to include Sunday this year. Dawn is going to talk to Eva about hosting at Cubespace.

Update on Portland Social Media Club. We do not want the Legion of Tech to take responsibility for this group. Justin Kistner will approach Marshall Kirkpatrick about taking this on.

Talked about a different time for Legion of Tech board meetings. 5:30pm start is not ideal for a number of members. We are going to move the start time to 5:45pm for the next meeting.

Discussed idea for the Legion of Tech Kick-off party. This will not be sponsored – people will pay for their own food and drink. This will be held sometime after Ignite Portland 2, probably in February. A date and time needs to be set. Explored various venue ideas for this event. Todd Kenefsky is the point of contact for this.

Discussed an idea of doing a regular happy hour event ongoing. This will be explored in the future. The focus will be on the kick-off party for now.

Discussed the idea of doing a centralized system for discussions of various tech groups and events in one space. Agreed to wait for the time being and explore in the future.

Discussed doing a geek family picnic / coder fest at a park in the spring. More details later.

Discussed Planet PDX – a blog aggregator that involve tech or geek blogs in Portland. Audrey Eschright is working on this. Discussed putting this under the Legion of Tech domain or having its own domain.

Legion of Tech Board Meeting Minutes 2007-12-13

Legion of Tech Board Meeting Minutes 2007-12-13
Blue Monk, SE 33rd and Belmont, Portland, OR

Attendees: Josh Bancroft, Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Paul Biggs, Justin Kistner, Raven Zachary, Adam Duvander

Votes:

Ratify board membership as: Josh Bancroft, Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Paul Biggs, Justin Kistner, Raven Zachary, Adam Duvander. Board voted unanimously in the affirmative.

Ratify officers as:

  • Chair: Dawn Foster
  • Secretary: Raven Zachary
  • Treasurer: Todd Kenefsky

Board voted unanimously in the affirmative for officers as constituted.

Ratify bylaws: The Board voted unanimously in the affirmative to accept the bylaws as currently written.

Topics:

Paperwork filed for incorporation, waiting to be “official”

We need someone to help fill out the 501.3(c) paperwork

Committee Leadership:

  • Ignite Portland 2: Josh Bancroft
  • Ignite Portland 3: Raven Zachary
  • BarCampPortland: Dawn Foster
  • Startupalooza: Todd Kenefsky

Should LoT “take over” the Portland Social Media group? Good discussion, but it was decided that since there’s not a need for assistance with sponsorships, that LoT shouldn’t “take over” but that Josh and Justin will talk with the PSM organizers about starting it up again, and see what kind of assistance/encouragement we can offer.

Ignite Portland 2 planning: We need to start having weekly meetings, and formalize committee assignments.

Discussion of days and locations for monthly board meetings.

Opens:

(Justin) We need a way to aggregate event calendars for other Portland events, and be a clearinghouse for all things tech event in Portland. It’s a sufficiently technical problem, so discussion was taken outside the meeting.