2008 Legion of Tech Board Minutes

12/11/2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 12/11/2008
Meeting held at CubeSpace 622 SE Grand Ave. Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:45pm, ended at 8:30pm.

In Attendance:
Josh Bancroft, Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Adam DuVander, Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefesky, Justin Kistner

Absent:
Audrey Eschright, Raven Zachary

==Votes==

The board voted to approve a new conflict of interest policy.

The board voted to approve to spend $750 on 501(c)3 application.

The board voted to approve BarCamp as a two day event on Friday, May 1 and Saturday, May 2.

After the board meeting Dawn and Adam each counted the board ballots to determine the next board of directors:
Josh Bancroft
Adam DuVander
Amy Farrell
Craig Fisk
Dawn Foster
Todd Kenefsky
Chris O’Rourke
Chris Pitzer
Raven Zachary

==Board member updates and issues==

Dawn:
Voting will be tallied at the end of the board meeting. Adam (in place of Secretary) will provide an initial count and Dawn (Chair) will provide a secondary count. Dawn will then send an email to the current board, as well as all board nominees.

EarthClassMail needs all three officers to fill something out so that we can get an account. With board turnover occurring now, we are going to wait until the new officers are elected.

Dawn proposed BarCamp on May 1-2. Some have expressed that three days was too long, plus extending BarCamp into Sunday would cost more because CubeSpace is not normally open.

Todd:
$1,455 net balance

A member of the community brought up that by letting other events include the Legion of Tech Upcoming group, we are endorsing the event. Since we have policies about being involved with certain types of events, we need to moderate the

When new board is elected, we should have a get-together with outgoing, current and new board members to share the information we have learned over the last year. Todd created a page in the BOD Google Group to plan the resources the new board members will need prior to the get-together.

Paul:
TACS has signed its approval of our 501(c)3 paperwork. Items left:
* Paul will rewrite and complete the final application
* Board can look over the application at its discretion
* Startupalooza section needs tweaking because it appears promotional. Todd will look over this section.

501(c)3 application requires a $750 application fee. Todd will give Paul a check.

Board discussed the new conflict of interest policy. Dawn will update the bylaws with the new conflict of interest policy.

Selena:
There are four members of the community who are willing to help with WordPress migrations.

Selena will initiate a transfer for the igniteportland.com domain to the new hosting.

Selena will transfer the wherecamppdx.org domain to the new hosting.

The Legion of Tech critical document needs to be more secure. Selena will set up an encrypted file with the critical information. Selena will add instructions for the PGP key in preparation for the new board get-together.

Adam:
We had an Ignite Portland 5 kickoff meeting with about ten people attending who were interested in helping with planning.

Justin:
The Legion of Tech blog theme is finished. Justin will send the theme to Selena.

Justin will prepare the editorial calendar for the new board get-together.

11/06/2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 11/6/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 915 SW Stark, Suite 400, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 6:00pm, ended at 8:30pm.

In Attendance:
Josh Bancroft, Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Adam DuVander, Audrey Eschright, Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefesky, Justin Kistner

Absent:
Raven Zachary

==Votes==

The board voted that the current board members wishing to remain will run for one year terms.

The board voted that board members and speakers will receive one additional Ignite ticket for a guest.

The board voted to have Ignite Portland 5 on February 19, 2009 at the Bagdad Theater.

The board voted to establish a policy that if the board votes not to continue organizing an event, then technical assets related to the event will be made available at the discretion of the board to interested community members by request.

==Board member updates and issues==

Dawn:
The board discussed qualifications of potential board candidates.

The current board will vote by December 11. The chair and secretary will count the ballots and the secretary will announce the results via email to all potential board members.

Adam:
Ignite Portland 4 is next week. Everything is looking like it will be a good event. 550 tickets were issued in 3.5 hours. Reaching outside of the board for help organizing has worked well.

Ignite Portland 5 is set to be announced at Ignite Portland 4, with proposals opening immediately. Adam will check with Igal about the proposal system.

Selena:
The tech committee is organizing all of Legion of Tech’s technical assets and is in the process of moving everything to a single hosting and domain registration account.

What tasks the tech committee does needs to be clearer. The next board will revisit this issue. Dawn will create the January agenda with this item.

Discussed the Legion of Tech critical document and how to keep it more secure. Selena will set up a system by the next board meeting.

Audrey:

Discussed the process of spinning off events if Legion of Tech does not want to continue the event.

Legion of Tech should consider a technical brown bag afternoon discussions, perhaps as a replacement for Legion of Tech Happy Hour.

About 100 people attended WhereCampPDX, including quite a few not from the regular crowd. Engaged with Trimet, who does not normally get involved with the community. Audrey will encourage others to continue to have meetups and use the blog.

Discussed whether the event needed to be two days long. Also discussed that the event has room to grow and reach out to the GIS community and other groups more.

Souk ended up being a good place to hold an event, but it requires your own insurance and early request for formal documentation on renting the space. Overall cost was about $1500 (space and insurance). Souk probably could only hold 150 people maximum.

Todd:

The finance committee needs to provide better checks and balances for the treasurer.

In January the board may consider Ignite Portland 6 to take place in Pioneer Square. It would be a more expensive event (>$5,000), but also provide more sponsorship opportunities.

The economic downturn has created a sponsorship crunch. In 2009 we may see quicker sponsor burnout and fewer sponsor possibilities.

Justin:

Justin created a new Legion of Tech theme, which he showed to the board. Justin will bundle the assets together and send them to the tech committee for implementation.

Discussed an editorial calendar for the content that needs to be updated regularly. The board needs to review, make changes, and provide other feedback to the editorial calendar by the next board meeting.

Justin discussed Legion of Tech taking on ownership of Portland Beer and Blog instead of the Legion of Tech Happy Hour. The board decided that Beer and Blog is better organized by the community.

Paul:

For 501(c)3 status, TACS suggests that we remove sponsors from the front of event pages. Discussed the trade-off between what sponsors want and our desire to be a 501(c)3.

Need to get advice from donor development expert advice to determine the long-term impact of the decision we make.

10/09/2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 10/9/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software, “Club Fed”, 915 S.W. Stark, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 6:04pm, ended at 7:35pm

Next meeting: Thursday, November 6 (note: one week earlier due to Ignite Portland)
In Attendance:

Adam DuVander, Paul Biggs, Todd Kenefsky, Raven Zachary, Audrey Eschright, Justin Kistner

Absent:

Dawn Foster, Selena Deckelmann, Josh Bancroft

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

* All
o Discuss potential candidates for board and advisory committee.
o What can we do to get technical board members to replace Selena & Audrey?
o Can we get a few more women interested in running for the board?
* Todd
o Finance Committee Update
o Bank Balance [1,700 + 1,450 for WhereCamp]
o Taxes: Filing due Jan 15. Get 2 3 month extensions. Taxed on Net Income (sponsorships minus costs)
* Adam
o Ignite Portland 4
o Legion of Tech is you
* Audrey
o LoT technology committee update
o WhereCamp PDX update
* Justin
o Legion of Tech blog theming and updates
* Paul
o 501c3 application status
+ review new narrative – survey results?
+ fill in Board Member details – Audrey
+ revist Sponsors question – recommended that they are 2-3 clicks deep on each site
* Raven
o Status on getting past minutes posted to the LoT blog.
* Selena
o ?
* Josh
o ?

Meeting minutes:

Discussed candidates for board and advisory committee. All are invited to the meet and greet on October 22.

Discussed technical needs of the organization and how to fill the technical committee with Selena and Audrey leaving the board.

Discussed getting more female candidates for the board. Dawn and Audrey will reach out to mailing lists and specific individuals.

Todd provided the bank balance: net $1,700

Todd spoke to an accountant and determined that Legion of Tech is taxed on net income. We need to file by January 15, but we should first file our 501c3/501c6 application.

Ignite Portland 4 planning is progressing. There are 26 proposals so far and we’re expecting a final push.

Discussed that Legion of Tech needs to improve communication with its community so that the community knows they are a part of LoT.

Technology committee update: Ignite site reorganized, need to move blogs/domains under LoT control. Tech committee will meet to work on things before Selena and Audrey’s terms expire.

WhereCamp update: Everything is coming together for WhereCamp next week. They have a Saturday dinner/hack at Old Town Pizza and games on Sunday. There is one final planning meeting on Wednesday.

Discussed that we should create an editorial calendar so that we can make sure that event information gets posted to the LoT blog. Also, the LoT blog needs to be re-themed. Justin volunteered to organize the editorial calendar and re-theme the blog.

Paul reviewed the new narrative for the 501c3 application. Discussed metrics that LoT would track.

For the three flagship events, we need to know these numbers:

* Number of attendees

* Number of speakers

* Number of volunteers

Todd will provide numbers for IP2, IP3, Startupalooza

Dawn will provide numbers for BarCamp

Discussed whether there is enough reason to pursue 501c3 over 501c6. Discussed sponsorship listings on websites. As a 501c3 we cannot treat our sponsors like advertisers.

Discussed getting past meeting notes posted to the LoT blog. Raven will do this.

9/11/2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 09/11/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software, “Club Fed”, 915 S.W. Stark, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 6:05pm, ended at 7:05pm

In Attendance:

Adam Duvander, Paul Biggs, Todd Kenefsky, Dawn Foster, Raven Zachary, Audrey Eschright, Justin Kistner

Absent:

Selena Deckelmann, Josh Bancroft

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Agenda:
•    Votes:
◦    Ratify the bylaws with voting changes (you should have received a link to the google doc) — Note from Paul: we did this last month, is there more to revise? Don’t want to delete this is someone put it here
•    Update Agenda:
◦    Dawn
▪    Bylaws revisions
▪    November board meeting must move
▪    Board Elections in December
▪    Liability
◦    Adam
▪    Ignite Portland 4
◦    Audrey
▪    LoT technology committee update
▪    WhereCamp PDX update
◦    Todd
▪    Finance Committee Update
▪    Bank Balance
▪    Legion of Talk update
▪    Projects & practices group
•    Raven
◦    ?
•    Justin
◦    ?
•    Josh
◦    ?
•    7:00 Video Session for LoT IP4 video

Meeting Minutes:

The next Board Meeting is Thursday, October 9, at 5:45pm meeting to be held at Jive Software.

Dawn displayed the changes to the bi-laws for review by the Board. The Board approved the changes, specifically addressing the two-year Board Member terms. During the election process during this transition year to two-year terms, Board Members will indicate whether they are running for a one or a two-year term so that we have a staggered election process.

The November Board Meeting conflicts with Ignite Portland 4. The Board approved moving the Board Meeting to Thursday, November 6th at 5:45pm.

The Board election is coming up in December. There was a recommendation to post a blog entry on the Legion of Tech blog in the near future about the election process and how to submit your name for consideration.

MacForce let the Legion of Tech borrow three Mac laptops for Ignite Portland 3. Adam had to sign a liability waiver to borrow the computers. The Board would like to assign liability to the Board, not to individual Board Members acting as individuals.

Adam gave a status report on Ignite Portland 4. We are starting to arrange for volunteer leads now to be mentored by Board Members. The proposal system will be up soon and the deadline for presentation ideas will be October 14th. Speaker selecting will occur on October 17th at the planning meeting. The Ignite Portland blog content from prior events, such as sponsors, needs to be archived for future reference.

Audrey provided an update on the Technology Committee. No meetings in August due to vacation schedules. Discussion of updating the Ignite Portland blog to the latest version of WordPress and improving the theme.

Audrey provided an update on WhereCamp PDX, to be held October 17/18/19. Souk is being used for the space. Working on getting sponsors now.

Todd provided a Finance Committee update. No changes since the last meeting.

Todd is going to create an online area for people to post projects & practices, opposed to creating a specific group.

Action Items:

The Ignite Portland blog content from prior events, such as sponsors, needs to be archived for future reference.

Justin Kistner has offered to join the Presentations & AV Team for Ignite Portland 4.

Next board meeting: October 9, 5:45 p.m.

8/14/2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 08/14/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software, “Club Fed”, 915 S.W. Stark, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 6:00pm, ended at 7:05pm

In Attendance:

Adam Duvander, Paul Biggs, Todd Kenefsky, Dawn Foster, Raven Zachary, Audrey Eschright (remote), Justin Kistner (remote)

Absent:

Selena Deckelmann, Josh Bancroft

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Agenda:
◦    Votes:
◦    Ratify the bylaws: 501(c)3 Bylaws – Proposed Revisions
◦    Update Agenda:
◦    Audrey
▪    LoT technology committee update
▪    WhereCamp PDX update
◦    Adam
▪    Ignite Portland 4
◦    Dawn
▪    Legion of Tech Happy Hour Meetup
▪    Sarah Lacey Tweetup
▪    Board Elections in December
◦    Todd
▪    Finance Committee Update
▪    Bank Balance
▪    Legion of Talk update
▪    Projects & practices group
◦    Paul
▪    Progress on 501(c)3 application

Meeting Minutes:

Paul Biggs gave a status report on the 501(c)(3) paperwork filing. Article I – Name and Purpose was simplified during a special working meeting this week. The Board Approved the new language for Article I. Dawn will make the revisions on the public website. Plan to have everything in progress with the IRS before the board elections at the end of 2008.

Audrey provided an update on the LoT technology committee update. Committee met last month, put together a list of resources, to-do items. The committee will meet again in September.

Audrey provided a WhereCamp PDX update. Initial planning meeting held. Lot of excitement about this event. One sponsor so far, many leads being followed-up on. Meeting again on 08/27 to continue the planning process. Suk will be used as the space. October 17/18/19, from Friday night through Sunday.

Adam provided an update on Ignite Portland 4. Date is November 13th. Kickoff meeting on Monday, August 18th, CubeSpace, 6pm. Anyone interested in helping out – volunteering and planning, is invited to attend. Adam and Dawn have promoted the kickoff meeting via Twitter. Four Board members are serving in mentor roles – Raven (Presentations & AV), Todd (Sponsorship), Dawn (Venue), Josh (Marketing & Promotions). Todd will pickup pizzas for the attendees, paid by Legion of Tech, as this meeting takes place during dinner time.

Dawn provided an update on the Legion of Tech Happy Hour. We are moving the events to the Green Dragon. The next meeting is Thursday, August 28th, and 5:30pm.

Dawn provided an update on the Sarah Lacey Tweetup. Tweetup will be on Monday, August 25th at the Green Dragon at 6pm. This is for her book tour.

Dawn provided an update on Board elections in December. Everyone is up for re-election in December. Talked about two-year terms and staggered schedules as options. Plan for re-election: If someone is interested in running for the Board of Directors, need a nomination from a Board member, and a second nomination from the Board to place name in the running. Only current Board members vote for the new Board. Board Roles are decided during the first meeting of the new Board.  Dawn will check in the existing bylaws to see if any changes to terms of voting will need to be reflected. We will vote on these changes at the next meeting. Current Board members will express their interest in re-election at the October Board meeting. We will put out the call for new Board members in November.

Todd provided a Finance Committee update.  The Finance Committee will put together the Balance Sheet and meet with an accountant. $1,925 net balance. $500 coming in from Strands for sponsoring the Legion of Tech Talk with Mark Shuttleworth. Current bank balance is $4,300’ish, pending credit card expenses.

Todd provided a Legion of Tech Update – Mark Shuttleworth event went well. Mission venue worked well. No Legion of Talk events in progress right now, looking for ideas on future events now.

Todd provided an update on the Projects & Practices Group. Compiling knowledge on various topics in one place. Anyone on the Board is free to go in and add modifications.

Action Items:

Dawn will make the revisions on the public website.

Dawn will check in the existing bylaws to see if any changes to terms or voting will need to be reflected. We will vote on these changes at the next meeting.

The Finance Committee will put together the Balance Sheet and meet with an accountant.

7/10/2008

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 07/10/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:45pm, ended at 7:00pm

In Attendance:

Adam Duvander, Paul Biggs, Audrey Eschright, Todd Kenefesky, Dawn Foster, Raven Zachary, Josh Bancroft

Absent:

Selena Deckelmann, Justin Kistner

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Agenda:

* Votes:
– Ignite Portland 4

* Update Agenda:
– Adam
– Ignite Portland 4
– Audrey
– LoT technology committee update
– WhereCamp PDX update
– Todd
– Finance Committee Update
– Bank Balance
– Legion of Talk update
– Projects & practices group
– Paul
– Progress on 501(c)3 application
– Consolidate TACS feedback with Strategy Session
– Need all Board Members to add to Participation Matrix
– TACS will do everything it can to help us, and refer us to a Lawyer if/when needed
– Dawn
– Legion of Tech Happy Hour (was BarCamp Meetups)

Meeting Minutes:

Audrey provided an update on the LoT technology committee and WhereCamp PDX planning meeting.

Todd provided a Finance Commitee update. $500 income from Strands sponsoring Legion of Talk. Spent $45 on water for Legion of Talk (Gary Vaynerchuk). Bank balance is the same as last meeting except for $500 Strands deposit. $277 withdrawal to reimburse Raven Zachary for BarCamp Portland expenses from May 2008.

Todd provided an update on Legion of Talk – Gary Vaynerchuk. Highly successful.

The Board talked about promotion for the upcoming Mark Shuttleworth talk, outreach to local technology groups. Individual board members will do outreach, as appropriate.

Todd talked about a projects and practices group to document processes for events and activities. Talked about doing working sessions on a regular basis to start the documentation process. This issue to be considered by board members and to be discussed at the next meeting.

Adam provided an update on Ignite Portland 4. A group from the Board met for lunch today to discuss. Thursday, November 13th, at the Bagdad. Venue availability is confirmed by Todd. Planning to do a volunteer meeting the first week of August to coordinate responsibilities in various categories, such as food, presentations, venue, volunteers, etc. Board members will mentor volunteers to distribute workload.

Board voted to hold Ignite Portland 4 on November 13th with Adam Duvander as the event coordinator. The vote passed.

Dawn provided an update on the Legion of Tech Happy Hour (previously called BarCamp Meetups). The first event was a success. We plan to skip the July event due to OSCON event conflicts. Planning to do another one in August at the same venue, Plan B.

Paul provided an update on the 501(c)(3) application, including feedback from TACS discussions and LoT Strategy Session. Talked about 501(c)(3) vs. 501(c)(6). Paul asked that we fill in qualifications, average hours, and duties for the Participation Matrix. Plan for an early August meeting to cover this in greater detail – all-Board strategy session on Tuesday, August 12th, 6pm at Paul Bigg’s house.

Paul also brought up the issue of sponsors. As a non-profit, we should have donors, not sponsors. We are treating these firms in a promotional manner with marketing, publicity, etc. We need to be careful about how we handle this situation as to not be an issue for 501(c)(3) application. Discussed the challenges associated with this and whether we should be a 501(c)(6) instead. Plan to meet with an accountant before the August meeting.

Todd asked that we update the Legion of Tech website with upcoming events in the sidebar.

6/12/2008

5/8/2008

4/10/2008

3/13/2008

2/11/2008

1/10/2008