2009 Legion of Tech Board Minutes

12/10/2009

Logistics:
Thursday 12/10/09 at 5:45
NedSpace Old Town

Attendees: Dawn Foster, Adam DuVander, Chris Pitzer, Amy Farrell
Absent: Josh Bancroft and Raven Zachary

Votes:

  • Elect Josh as new interim chairman until elections – motion passed
  • Change our IRS application from 501(c)3 to 501(c)(6) – motion passed
  • Move our debt from the credit card to a small business loan (pending bank approval) – motion passed
  • Move to a board comprised of between 5 and 7 members – motion passed

Minutes:

Finance update:
Bank account balance is currently $5659.95 excluding fraud charges.
The audit for the fraud issue has been completed and we are working toward a final resolution. We expect to have a resolution shortly.
We are also planning to move our credit card debt to a small business loan, which is a lower-interest solution (pending bank approval).

Finance committee update:
Finance committee has reviewed all of our bank statements and finance documents to reconcile them and provide an additional audit for our current finances to provide checks and balances among board members. There were no red flags in the current statements, and we are still refining our process for auditing finances moving forward.

Interim chair:
Raven’s term on the board expires at the end of December, and he has decided not to run for another term due to time constraints with starting his new business. Josh has been voted in as interim chair and will be the new legal contact in 2010.

Election plans for 2010:
We already voted to move elections to our February board meeting. Current board members have until December 18th to decide whether or not to run for a new term. We will be doing a blog post that weekend to let people know the process for running. We plan to have between 5 and 7 board members. To be elected to the board, new directors must receive votes from a majority of current board members.

501(c) update:
We were able to get an extension on portions of our 501(c)(3) application. The amount of work associated with continuing down the 501(c)(3) path is significant, and the benefits to LoT are not that great given that most of our revenue comes from businesses who write it off as a business expense, rather than charitable donations. Based on guidance from our IRS representative, we should change our application to a 501(c)(6) or 501(c)(4). The board has voted to proceed with a 501(c)(6).

Ignite Update:
Ignite Portland 7 went well. We had about 600 people physically in attendance and over 100 additional people on the stream. We spent $1273.93 on event expenses. We collected a total of $3000 in sponsorship dollars. Ignite Portland 8 has been scheduled for March 3, 2010.

BarCamp Update:
We met with the CodeCamp team and have begun working through logistics to get started with planning. Most of the planning will start in January. We will establish the formal BarCamp planning team in January. BarCamp will be a one-day event on May 22nd with a possible pre-party on the evening before depending on budgets.

Email to Advisory Committee (re: disbanding of A.C.):
Amy to draft the email to the Advisory committee.

11/12/2009

Board Meeting Logistics:
11/12/2009 5:45 PM
NedSpace (Old Town) http://nedspace.com

In attendance:
Josh Bancroft, Adam DuVander, Amy Farrell, Dawn Foster, Chris Pitzer

Absent:
Raven Zachary

Agenda:
Ignite update
BarCamp update
Finance update

Ignite:
The event is on the 19th, and everything is on track. We have $3000 pledged in sponsorships, and we have received $450. We will try to collect more checks in the next few days. Josh will do the what to expect at Ignite post early next week. We will be announcing the date of IP8 and the proposal system will go live at the end of IP7.

BarCamp:
Proposed date is May 22nd, and we are considering colocating with CodeCamp and doing the 2 events together as one event. The biggest issue right now is that we need to provide wireless.

Vote to colocate the 2 events pending resolution of wireless issues: Passed with 4 votes and 1 abstention.

Finance Update:
Current active bank balance is $4285.28 excluding Ignite checks received.

10/8/2009

Board Meeting Logistics:
10/8/2009 5:45 PM
Vita Cafe

Attendees: Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Chris Pitzer, Adam DuVander
Absent: Josh Bancroft, Raven Zachary, Amy Farrell

Minutes:

Since the board meeting was lightly attended and these are important issues, votes were counted over email after the meeting.

Votes:
1. Ratify board member election process – Passed with 7 yes, 0 no votes
2. Ratify the proposal to move to a smaller 5 person board – Passed with 7 yes, 0 no votes
3. Ratify the proposal to disband the Advisory Committee – Passed with 7 yes, 0 no votes

Proposal: Move to a smaller 5 person board.

We would also like to move to a 5 person board. The current board size has been a bit unwieldy, and we’d like to streamline it a bit to have fewer board members and more community volunteers

Proposal: Board member election process.

Board member elections are at the December board meeting currently scheduled for December 10. In our last meeting, we discussed coming up with a better process for elections based on what we learned the last time.

1. Deadline for current expiring board members to declare intent to run is October 15. The board members whose terms expire in December are Adam, Dawn, Josh, Raven and Todd. Amy has decided to resign as of the December meeting, and Chris still has another year left on his two year term.

2. A nomination must be made by a current board member and be seconded by another current board member. In order to qualify for a nomination, nominees are required to have worked on the planning committee of at least one Legion of Tech event or have made a significant positive contribution as a volunteer on 2 or more LoT events. Nominations are due November 30th.

3. Nominee review meeting will be held the first week of December. It will be a special meeting where we discuss the qualifications of the nominees.

4. Election process will remain the same as last year: blind paper ballots counted and recounted separately by two officers during the December meeting. Dawn will provide the first count as the secretary, and Adam will provide the 2nd count as the treasurer.

5. Announcing the results: We will email all candidates to communicate the results and post them to the blog by December 14th.

Proposal: Disband the Advisory Committee

While the advisory committee sounded like a good idea, in practice, it never really worked well. Rather than having a formal advisory committee, we would like to encourage those people to volunteer on events, instead.

9/10/2009

Board Meeting Logistics:
9/10/2009 5:45 PM
NedSpace (Downtown) 920 SW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97204

Attendees: Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Chris Pitzer, Amy Farrell
Absent: Josh Bancroft, Raven Zachary, Adam DuVander

Ignite Portland 7

The IP7 core planning team has started weekly meetings and are working on the schedule right now. We need to set deadlines for proposals and communicate those deadlines to the community. The planning team includes Dawn Foster, Josh Bancroft, Todd Kenefsky, Morgan Senkal, Nate DiNiro, Chris Pitzer, and Julie Harlan.

Startupalooza

We need to have an email vote to cancel Startupalooza due to location issues and bandwidth issues. We also think moving it further away from WordCamp and WhereCamp will make it easier for people to attend and give us the opportunity to scout locations. Todd is to come up with a proposal for an alternate date and location by the next board meeting.

Location for future board meetings

NedSpace has generously offered their OldTown location for our meetings, so we’ll be holding future meetings at NedSpace.

Preparation for December BOD elections

Elections will take place in the December board meeting. Dawn, Todd, Raven, Adam and Josh are up for re-election. Each board member should post to our group their intent to run for re-election or not. Need to set a better criteria for nominations where people need to have volunteered on planning committees for existing events before they can be nominated. Board members should think about people they would like to approach for nominations, and we need to brainstorm the criteria on the Legion of Tech group to finalize it in the next meeting. We also need to finalize the process and dates for nominations for vote in the next meeting.

8/13/2009

Present: Raven Zachary, Adam DuVander, Chris Pitzer, Todd Kenefsky
Absent: Dawn Foster, Josh Bancroft, Amy Farrell

New Business

Chris O’Rourke and Craig Fisk have both resigned from the board.  We wish them well.
We will be working with Network Redux to manage our web hosting.

Financial

Ignite portland 6

  • $4950 pledged, $2950 received to date.
  • Event cost to date $1415

$2877.51 is our current bank balance.

Ignite Portland 7

By vote, Dawn will lead Ignite Portland 7.

7/9/2009

In attendance: Dawn, Josh, Todd, Raven, Chris Pitzer, Adam, Craig
Absent: Chris O’Rourke, Amy

Action items: ALL – think about how we can improve the LoT board and post your ideas and suggestions on the LoT mailing list with a focus on making things simple.
Action items: ALL – send suggestions for what we should do with the advisory committee and discuss it on the LoT mailing list.

New Business:

* LoT direction: Brainstormed ideas to make it easier to run Legion of Tech events without creating too much extra overhead on the board. We should be focused on keeping it simple.
* Tech Committee: We’re looking into outsourcing the management of our websites to a local tech company to simplify the process.

Updates:

Josh Bancroft
* Ignite Portland 6: July 16th. Everything is on track. IP7 will be on Nov. 12, and will be announced at the end of IP6.

Adam DuVander
* Ignite Sponsorships: $4450 pledged; $1200 received. Should receive the rest soon. The minimum cost for Ignite is estimated at $1500, so we’re close based on dollars received. With bank balance, we can officially afford Ignite Portland 6.
* Finance Committee: We now have a better system for managing our finances implemented. Current bank balance across all accounts is $2813.42.

Todd Kenefsky
* Advisory Committee: We haven’t had a meeting recently, and we need to figure out what to do with the advisory committee.

Craig Fisk
* Startupalooza2: Planning is still in the early phases, and the main concern right now is finding a new location for the event. We also need to look at simplifying planning for this event. After Ignite, we’ll start focusing on the planning.
* Board Insurance: We don’t need board insurance, since we don’t have any staff. It’s only needed if you have a staff outside of the board of directors. We will purchase event insurance to cover us for each individual events.

6/11/2009

Board Meeting Logistics:
6/11/2009 5:45 PM
CubeSpace 622 SE Grand Avenue, Portland OR 97214

Attending: Todd, Dawn, Craig, Adam, Amy, Chris Pitzer, Chris O’Roarke
Absent: Raven, Josh

New Business

* New meeting spot (Todd): See if Raven can offer up a conference room at Small Society. Slate technology is another option.
* “Ignite Day” in early October (Adam): Proposed by Brady as a day to hold a bunch of Ignites simultaneously. We couldn’t really do one in October due to Startupalooza, but we’ll talk to him to see if we can influence a date in mid-November. If we can participate, we will, but won’t go to great lengths to meet this date if it won’t work well for us.

Updates:

Adam DuVander
* Ignite Sponsorships: $1250 pledged; $500 received. Still seeking additional sponsors and some have expressed interested, but have not finalized details.
* Finance Update: We still have 2 bank accounts and need to combine them. We still have a couple of outstanding expenses from BarCamp where we are waiting for invoices. Todd and Adam need to update the notes with our exact balances.
* Finance Committee Update: Finance committee still needs to meet and will be meeting as soon as possible.

Amy Farrell
* Advisory Committee: Currently discussing alternative locations for some of our events based on CubeSpace closing. Amy will schedule the next meeting and ask for help in areas where we need it.

Craig Fisk
* Startupalooza2: October 10th. Still in early planning stages. We need to find a new location.
* Board Insurance: Still gathering information about what would be required and what we need.

Todd Kenefsky
* Ignite Portland: On track for July 16. We will be doing general admission – no tickets, and this will be announced soon. Still making final determination on the BackStage / Overflow situation.

Chris O’Rourke
* Tech/site/wiki upgrades: Planned upgrades to 2.8 on Sunday.

Chris Pitzer
* wiki access? rebuild?: We don’t have access to the wiki database right now – Dawn installed the wiki and will get access to it.
* Theme: Chris will work on the theme for LoT and ask UncleNate for help.
* Ignite DVD: Talking to Joe at Blaze & Outlier about putting Ignite on DVD. Might be a good sponsor recruiting tool & Speakers might want to have them. Chris will look into this to see if it’s worth the time and effort. We should probably have the DVD images made anyway and then decide what to do with them. We’ll make the final decision after we get footage from this Ignite.

Opens:
* GTD conversation part 2 (Todd): We’re still behind on our to do lists and need to get better about getting things done more quickly. Need to do restructure the minutes to call out the action items.

Actions:
* Chris Pitzer / Craig to schedule the work session & SLRP for the week after OSBridge
* Chris O. to have the theme upgraded and WordPress upgraded by Tues.
* Dawn to get access to the wiki
* Adam to schedule a finance committee meeting & consolidate bank accounts.
* Todd to get invoices and pay off the remaining BarCamp expenses.
* Amy to pilot weekly reminders for the team
* Craig to finalize board insurance details.
* Todd to find a new location for the board meetings
* Amy to come up with agenda for advisory committee & schedule the next meeting
* Everyone to send info about where we need help and suggestions for other items that we should talk to the advisory committee about.

5/14/2009

Board Meeting Logistics:
6/11/2009 5:45 PM
CubeSpace 622 SE Grand Avenue, Portland OR 97214

Attending: Todd, Dawn, Craig, Adam, Amy, Chris Pitzer, Chris O’Roarke
Absent: Raven, Josh

New Business

* New meeting spot (Todd): See if Raven can offer up a conference room at Small Society. Slate technology is another option.
* “Ignite Day” in early October (Adam): Proposed by Brady as a day to hold a bunch of Ignites simultaneously. We couldn’t really do one in October due to Startupalooza, but we’ll talk to him to see if we can influence a date in mid-November. If we can participate, we will, but won’t go to great lengths to meet this date if it won’t work well for us.

Updates:

Adam DuVander
* Ignite Sponsorships: $1250 pledged; $500 received. Still seeking additional sponsors and some have expressed interested, but have not finalized details.
* Finance Update: We still have 2 bank accounts and need to combine them. We still have a couple of outstanding expenses from BarCamp where we are waiting for invoices. Todd and Adam need to update the notes with our exact balances.
* Finance Committee Update: Finance committee still needs to meet and will be meeting as soon as possible.

Amy Farrell
* Advisory Committee: Currently discussing alternative locations for some of our events based on CubeSpace closing. Amy will schedule the next meeting and ask for help in areas where we need it.

Craig Fisk
* Startupalooza2: October 10th. Still in early planning stages. We need to find a new location.
* Board Insurance: Still gathering information about what would be required and what we need.

Todd Kenefsky
* Ignite Portland: On track for July 16. We will be doing general admission – no tickets, and this will be announced soon. Still making final determination on the BackStage / Overflow situation.

Chris O’Rourke
* Tech/site/wiki upgrades: Planned upgrades to 2.8 on Sunday.

Chris Pitzer
* wiki access? rebuild?: We don’t have access to the wiki database right now – Dawn installed the wiki and will get access to it.
* Theme: Chris will work on the theme for LoT and ask UncleNate for help.
* Ignite DVD: Talking to Joe at Blaze & Outlier about putting Ignite on DVD. Might be a good sponsor recruiting tool & Speakers might want to have them. Chris will look into this to see if it’s worth the time and effort. We should probably have the DVD images made anyway and then decide what to do with them. We’ll make the final decision after we get footage from this Ignite.

Opens:
* GTD conversation part 2 (Todd): We’re still behind on our to do lists and need to get better about getting things done more quickly. Need to do restructure the minutes to call out the action items.

Actions:
* Chris Pitzer / Craig to schedule the work session & SLRP for the week after OSBridge
* Chris O. to have the theme upgraded and WordPress upgraded by Tues.
* Dawn to get access to the wiki
* Adam to schedule a finance committee meeting & consolidate bank accounts.
* Todd to get invoices and pay off the remaining BarCamp expenses.
* Amy to pilot weekly reminders for the team
* Craig to finalize board insurance details.
* Todd to find a new location for the board meetings
* Amy to come up with agenda for advisory committee & schedule the next meeting
* Everyone to send info about where we need help and suggestions for other items that we should talk to the advisory committee about.

4/9/2009

Attending: Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Josh Bancroft, Chris Pitzer, Amy Farrell, Adam DuVander, Raven Zachary
Absent: Chris O’Roarke, Craig Fisk

Minutes:

Josh Bancroft

– Ignite Portland 6: Planning meetings have started in an informal way to begin putting together a calendar of milestones for the activities leading up to the event. We’ll be publishing our milestone calendar shortly. Aaron Hockley will be leading the presentation / speaker team. The volunteer team will either be led by Julie Harlan or Dawn Foster. Adam DuVander will be leading sponsorships, and Chris Pitzer is leading the AV team.

Adam DuVander

– Finance Committee Update: Running a little behind on transferring financial responsibilities from Todd to Adam. Chris Pitzer will be on the finance committee along with one other person TBD.  We still need to transfer our accounts to a new bank and meet with an accountant. The finance committee will determine a process for taking individual donations for BarCamp.

Amy Farrell

– BarCampPortland 3: We still need more sponsors. We had a great volunteer meeting this week with people who are interested in helping out, but we still need to recruit day of volunteers. $4950 pledged sponsorships with $750 received – more are in process. Last year, we spent ~$10k on BarCampPortland 2.

Dawn Foster

– Community Management Committee & LoT Town Hall: No progress to date. Dawn needs to focus on this activity. Committee includes Craig Fisk and Josh Bancroft.

Todd Kenefsky

– Advisory Committee: Our next committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 13th. Amy will be taking the lead on this effort to schedule the meetings and set the agenda in the future.
– Startupalooza2: Planning meetings are in the very early stages. We have a couple of non-board members on the planning committee: Rick Turoczy and David Abramowski. We’re a little concerned about overcrowding at this event, so we plan break it out into multiple tracks rather than have one track like we did last year.

Chris Pitzer

– Tech/site upgrades – We have migrated almost everything to our new host. We still need to migrate the WhereCamp site and get the wiki back up. Next step is to set up version control / staging and re-theme the LoT blog.
– Work Days – Next one will be focused on finance committee and community management committee on 4/14 at 6pm.
– LoT Monthly Meetups – Chris has contacted Justin, but needs to get confirmation / dates scheduled. These will be monthly and likely on Mon / Tues pending calagator checks.

Raven Zachary

No update.

Opens:

– FYI on possible “mini Ignite” at OSBridge (@jabancroft and @verso) pending acceptance as a session at OSBridge. This is NOT an LoT event.
– Raven Zachary to submit a talk for Open Source Bridge conference before leaving the meeting  http://bit.ly/SUShm

3/12/2009

Present: Chris Pitzer, Adam DuVander, Amy Farrell, Craig Fisk, Josh
Bancroft, Todd Kenefsky, Dawn Foster, Chris O’Roarke

Absent: Raven Zachary

Updates:

Josh Bancroft

Ignite Portland 6: July 16th. Submissions are trickling in despite not
promoting it. Planning meetings kick off next week. Next thing to do
is finish selecting the organizing committee / subteam leaders. We are
still evaluating other locations and are open to suggestions, but have
been unable to find a bigger venue that fits within our budget and
other requirements. We’re also looking at other ways to manage the
number of people.

Adam DuVander

Finance Committee Update (Balance $1250. Ignite cost: $1,850. Ignite
revenue: $3,000). We’ll be forming the finance committee before the
next board meeting. Tax extension has been filed, but we still need to
meet with the accountant to file the taxes.

Commerce Bank – Adam and Todd evaluated Commerce Bank, and they can
get us a better deal than we were getting with US Bank. We will be
switching to Commerce Bank and activating our Earth Class mail account
before the next board meeting.

Amy Farrell

BarCampPortland 3 – had our first volunteer meeting, are currently
soliciting sponsors, have quotes from CubeSpace on space (Eva is
getting us food estimates, too). Discussed co-locating with CodeCamp
and decided against it.  Sponsorship money collected is $250 with
several others expressing interest.

Craig Fisk

Startupalooza2: Just getting started planning the event, but will
really start in a couple of months.
o website improvement:  communicating what is LoT, when are
things happening, how to be involved, give me a picture, FAQ

Dawn Foster

Considering taking donations from community members (not entry fees
for events), but we have to be clear that these donations are not tax
deductible. FInance committee is going to work out the details.

Community Management / PR Committee – LoT Town Hall: Craig & Josh &
Dawn are the committee. We will be posting more regular updates about
what we do and why we do it along with general communications about
Legion of Tech.

LoT Meetup: Chris Pitzer will lead it & Dawn will help. Target the
first one in April.

Todd Kenefsky

Advisory Committee was focused mostly on Ignite with a variety of
other topics. We still need to schedule the March advisory committee.

Chris O’Rourke

Tech/site upgrades – This is more complicated than initially believed.
On track to have everything migrated and stable my April 1. There will
be some downtime this weekend while we move over the sites.

Opens:

Social Media Awards – LoT does not work in conjunction with commercial
events & this falls outside of our educational event scope. We’ll
suggest that he approach the SocialMediaClub or possibly the SAO.

The next work session is March 21 at 1pm. Chris Pitzer will be
soliciting ideas for the work session agenda.

2/12/2009

Present: Todd Kenefsky, Dawn Foster, Craig Fisk, Adam DuVander, Chris Pitzer, Amy Farrell
Not in attendance: Josh Bancroft, Raven Zachary, Chris O’Rourke

Votes:

  • Vote passed: Ignite Portland 6, July 16, 2009 @ Bagdad (Date is available at Bagdad) – Todd & Josh will be co-leading this event.
  • Vote passed: Startupalooza, October 10, 2009 @ CubeSpace (CubeSpace has the date reserved. WhereCamp would like to do their event in September so they’re fine with this date for Startupalooza) – Craig Fisk will be leading.

Updates:

Technology policy review: Chris O. is overseeing the LoT technology. The initial migration is underway now. We are putting a process in place to handle system upgrades (content is outside of the scope of the process). The communication process is particularly important, since we need to coordinate system changes with event needs and announcements. This communication should happen in the Legion of Tech board mailing list in advance of any changes. We are also in the process of setting up staging servers where we can test changes before they go live.

BarCampPortland3: The volunteer meeting is 2/23 at 5:30 at CubeSpace – board members are encouraged to attend. Still getting budget together, awaiting quote from CubeSpace. We have $250 in sponsorships now for BarCamp, and we will do a sponsor push after Ignite. We will also have a video at Ignite to announce BarCampPortland3.

Finance Update: $50 previous balance at the last board meeting. $2,900 received this month (all Ignite sponsorships). Estimated $1,800 Ignite cost. Balance right now $2,950. Net after ignite expenses estimated at $1,150. Tax extension must be sent tomorrow – Todd will be sending. Treasurer responsibilities will officially shift from Todd to Adam after Ignite to avoid any mid-event issues. At this point, we will also change our official address to our new Earth Class Mail account.

Advisory Committee meeting went well. It was mostly a meet and greet along with sharing information about how we work and getting initial feedback from the advisors. Amy is working on finding a regular date for this monthly advisory meeting.

501(c)(3) forms have been sent to the IRS, but it will be a while before they respond to us.

Advertising policy review: People sponsoring our events are considered supporters, not advertisers, and we need to be very careful about how we portray our sponsors in light of the 501(c)3 status. Also, as an organization, we don’t really want people who are just in it for the money. We want people who are interested in supporting our events and supporting the technology community, not people who just want advertising. Think NPR supporters, but without the membership drive.

IgnitePortland5: Presentations are coming in and looking good so far. Event is coming along nicely with a tech rehearsal next week. Tickets are still trickling out to people on the waiting list. We’re also working on better documentation for future Ignite events that we can share with new people working on Ignite Portland or for other Ignite organizers to see how we run an Ignite event.

Board meeting locations: We discussed several options for locations.

We want to start having monthly work sessions (2-3 hours) where we can get together to talk about issues, documentation, etc. Focused on 1-2 issues. Chris Pitzer will take the lead on scheduling this.

1/8/2009

Discussing Technology Committee
* Chris O’Rourke will direct

Finance Committee
* no change from last month

Startupalooza
* still in pre-planning phase – no big updates.

Finding a new BOD meeting space
* nothing official yet – will stay at Cubespace for the time being

Advisory committee
* Amy Farrell will attend meetings and update the board
* people elected to committee:
* Scott Kventon
* Jed Herzog
* Bram Pitoyo
* Amber Case
* Jason Mauer
* Don Park
* Nate Angell
* Betsy Richter
* Nate DiNiro
* Jake Kuramoto
* Rick Toruczy
* Igal Koshevoy

We are going to make a new LoT Video
Ignite update
Bar camp update