Please help us plan the future of Legion ofÂ Tech! In a couple of weeks, we’ll be hosting a Town Hall meeting. Join us on Thursday, April 14, at the Lucky Lab SE (Calagator link). We’ll be meeting in the event room from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
Come, enjoy a beverage on us and get an update from Legion of Tech board members about how the organization is doing and our plans are for this year and beyond.
We’ll have plenty of time for you to share your concerns, questions and ideas.
With the first meeting of the new Legion of Tech board on Thursday, January 20th, we elected new officers for 2011:
- Chair: Amy Farrell
- Treasurer: Christie Koehler
- Secretary: Chris McCraw
A big thank you to Amy, Christie and Chris for taking on these board roles. We’re looking forward to some great events in 2011!
[UPDATE:BarCampPortland 4 is being rescheduled.]
The fourth annual BarCampPortland will be May 22, at the University of Portland campus. We are trying something new this year Â we will be sharing the venue with Portland Code Camp, another great tech event that many of the developers among us enjoy. Both events are (and always have been) free.
Want to get involved?
- Volunteer: If you’d like to get involved with planning and preparations, please contact Amy Farrell (amykfarrell on gmail).
- Sponsor BarCamp: These events canÂt be successful without our sponsors. Contact Dawn Foster (geekygirldawn on gmail) if you’re interested in sponsoring BarCamp.
- Follow us on Twitter: @BarCampPortland
- Tell your friends!
The next combined BarCamp/Code Camp planning meeting will be Monday, February 22, at 6:30 pm. If you’d like to be involved, please get in touch!
Our 3rd BarCampPortland event is coming on May 1 and 2! We know that May is still really far away, but we wanted to get you thinking about BarCampPortland now.Â As always, we can use some help with the event, so we are having a volunteer meeting next week! We love to have you join us to learn more about how you can help.
BarCampPortland Volunteer Meeting
Monday February 23, 2009 from 5:30pm – 6:30pm
CubeSpace 622 SE Grand Ave
RSVP on Upcoming if you plan to attend
Volunteering isn’t the only way to help us out:
- RSVP for the actual event on May 1 and 2 on Upcoming.
- Sponsor! These events can’t be successful without our sponsors. Contact Todd Kenefsky (kenefsky on gmail) if you would like to sponsor a portion of the event.
- Join our Mailing List: Sign up for our Google Group to get email announcements about future meetups and events.
- Follow us on Twitter: Up to the minute breaking updates about the event as @BarCampPortland
- Tell your friends: Don’t forget to use the BarCampPortland tag when blogging, posting pictures, etc.
We hope to see you at our volunteer meeting and at the BarCampPortland event!
With the first meeting of the new Legion of Tech board on Thursday, we elected new officers for 2009:
Last years officers were Chair: Dawn Foster, Treasurer: Todd Kenefsky, and Secretary: Raven Zachary. A big thank you to Todd and Adam for stepping into new roles, and we’re looking forward to many more events in 2009!
First, thank you to everyone who ran for the Legion of Tech advisory committee! It was a great group of people and a hard choice to make between so many good candidates.
The 2009 Advisory Committee for Legion of Tech (in random order):
- Scott Kveton
- Jed Herzog
- Bram Pitoyo
- Amber Case
- Jason Mauer
- Don Park
- Nate Angell
- Betsy Richter
- Nate DiNiro
- Jake Kuramoto
- Rick Turoczy
- Igal Koshevoy
You’ll notice that there are 12 people, instead of 10. We had a tie for the final seat on the advisory committee, and we decided to expand the committee rather than have a tie-breaker vote.
If you weren’t selected, we would still love to have you volunteer and get involved in the various Legion of Tech events. There are plenty of ways to be involved!
Thank you again to everyone.
First of all, thank you to everyone who ran for the Legion of Tech board.
The new Legion of Tech board for 2009 is as follows (in alphabetical order):
- Josh Bancroft
- Adam DuVander
- Amy Farrell
- Craig Fisk
- Dawn Foster
- Todd Kenefsky
- Chris O’Rourke
- Chris Pitzer
- Raven Zachary
For those who ran, but were not elected, thank you again for running. The competition was stiff, and all of the people running were strong candidates. We will move the names of those who were not elected to the board of advisors nomination list. We’ll be voting for advisors in the January board meeting.
Todd had the best description of this event on Twitter: “Sweet waffles, savory waffles, beer, wine, art & geeks all converging in a glorious orgy of awesome.”
Thursday October 23, 2008 from 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Jace Gace 2045 SE Belmont
Please RSVP for this event on Upcoming.
These are super informal meetups where we hang out, talk about geeky stuff (wikis, open source, new technologies, openid, …), and wind down with like-minded people over beverages.
Since this is the last meetup of the year (it doesn’t make sense to have a 4th Thursday meetup in Nov/Dev to conflict with the holidays), we wanted to do something a little different …
Thanks to a sponsor who wishes to remain anonymous we will be having the meetup at Jace Gace. Our sponsor will cover the fee to rent the space for the evening, but you will be on your own to pay for drinks / waffles. Have you ever been to Jace Gace? They have the most amazing waffles, art and they have beer / wine! Mmmm, waffles, art, geeky fun, and alcohol. Heaven.
I wanted to let everyone know that the Legion of Tech board elections are coming up in December. Anyone who wants to run for a board seat is welcome to participate in the election process.
The Election Process
- Nominations are due November 1.
- Anyone not currently on the board who wishes to run for a board seat must be nominated by an existing director and seconded by another existing director.
- Current board members may automatically run for re-election.
- Elections will be held at the December board meeting with the current board voting on the new board.
- The new board will begin serving their terms on January 1, 2009.
Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
Board members are elected to 2-year terms and are responsible for upholding the bylaws of the organization. They are also required to attend monthly board meetings.
The day to day responsibilities of the board may include any or all of the following:
- Organize events like BarCampPortland, Ignite Portland, etc. by leading the team or participating as a volunteer.
- Attend Legion of Tech events.
- Attend board meetings the second Thursday of the month, in person or by phone.
- Come up with ideas for new events or ways to improve existing events.
- Collaborate with community members and make/maintain connections with other organizations.
- Participate in organizational maintenance activities including maintaining the technology, revising the bylaws, finance, taxes, accounting, etc.
- Chair or participate on committees like the Finance Committee and the Technology Committee.
- Board members may also be elected to serve on the executive committee as Chair, Treasurer or Secretary.
If you want to get more involved, but do not want to serve on the board of directors, Legion of Tech will also be forming an advisory committee made up of 5-10 people from the community (non-board members).
Purpose of the committee:
- Provide feedback on Legion of Tech activities
- Act as a few more eyes and ears in the community
- Get more people involved in Legion of Tech
How it works:
- Nominations are due on December 1.
- This would be an informal group (not specified in the bylaws) and with no voting rights.
- A current board member must nominate a person for the committee.
- Voting would occur at the January board meeting (new board votes on committee membership).
- Informal committee meetings will be held approximately monthly.
What you need to do
If you are interested in running for the Legion of Tech board or the Advisory Committee, please contact your favorite member of the existing board to request a nomination. Keep in mind that the nominations are due on November 1 for the board of directors and on December 1 for the Advisory Committee.
The Legion of Tech Happy Hour Meetup (used to be called the BarCamp Meetup) will be on the brand new patio (with wifi) at the Green Dragon on Aug 28th. We’d love to have someone sponsor (aka buy us beer), so contact me if you are interested in sponsoring the meetup.
Legion of Tech Happy Hour Meetup
Thursday, August 28
5:30pm – 7:30pm
Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub (on the patio)
928 SE 9th Ave
RSVP on upcoming.
Other Events that you might want to attend during the next month:
Sarah Lacy Tweetup (not a Legion of Tech event):
Sarah Lacy (business week reporter, author, and more) is going to be in town, and we thought that it would be fun to have a little tweetup to show her how awesome Portland is!
Monday, August 25, 2008
Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub (on the patio)
928 SE 9th Ave
RSVP on Upcoming.
From Side Project to Startup (CubeSpace event co-sponsored by Legion of Tech):
Combination conference / unconference to give ourselves that little kick in the pants to take our side project(s) and turn it into a startup.
Friday September 12, 2008 (5:30pm – 9:00pm)
Saturday September 13, 2008 (9:00am – 5:00pm)
622 SE Grand Avenue
Details about the event.
RSVP on Upcoming.
Haunted Lunch 2.0 (not a Legion of Tech event)
Wednesday September 17
12:00pm – 2:00pm
226 NW Davis Portland
RSVP on Upcoming.
WordCamp (An awesome community event, but not a Legion of Tech event):
WordCamp Portland is a gathering of folks who are passionate about WordPress.
Saturday September 27
622 SE Grand Ave