Startupalooza is Saturday, March 29th

Don’t forget to RSVP for Startupalooza being held this Saturday, March 29th from Noon until 6:30 at CubeSpace!

We have a great line-up!

Legion of Tech hopes to see you there. We might even have some Legion of Tech laptop stickers for you (assuming that the stars align for printing / shipping)!

Legion of Tech Board Meeting Minutes 2008-01-10

Legion of Tech Board Meeting
Thursday, 01/10/2008
Meeting held at Jive Software 317 SW Alder St Ste 500, Portland, OR
Meeting began at 5:45pm, ended at 7:15pm

In Attendance:

Dawn Foster, Todd Kenefsky, Justin Kistner, Raven Zachary, Paul Biggs, Selena Deckelmann, Audrey Eschright, Adam Duvander

Absent:

Josh Bancroft

Meeting Minutes:

Reviewed the proposed agenda, as follows:

Proposed Agenda:

Votes:
- Discuss and ratify process for approving board minutes for posting to the blog. See proposed process below (Dawn)

Reminders:
- All add contact info to contacts page, if haven’t done so.
- Update LOT wiki

Updates:
- Progress on 501(c) (3) status (Paul)
- Finance Committee Update (Todd)
- Ignite Sponsor $ update
- Bank Account
- Fiscal year?
- LoT Logo (Audrey)
- Ignite2 Updates (Josh)
- Ignite3 Updates (Raven)
- Startupalooza updates (Todd)
- BarCamp updates (Dawn)

Opens:
- Portland Social Media updates (Justin / Josh)
- Legion of Tech Kick-Off party (Todd)
- Community / Forums Idea (Adam / Dawn)
- Other Opens

Proposed process for publishing board minutes

Review options for dealing with the meeting minutes.

Proposed process for publishing board minutes:
- Minutes should be posted no later than 2 business days after the meeting to the Legion of Tech BOD Google Group
- Board members have 7 days to make any corrections / clarifications to the official minutes
- After this 7 day period, the board minutes will be posted to the Legion of Tech blog or website.
- (Or vote at next BOD meeting?)

Process for dealing with the meeting minutes was approved with one modification. If there is a concern about the minutes and the group cannot reach agreement on the resolution, the minutes will be brought to the next meeting for a vote prior to publication.

Reminder for board members to add contact info to the contact page, including address, on the Google Group.

Reminder to update the Legion of Tech wiki for information – events, best practices, etc.

Update on the progress of the 501(c)(3) paperwork. Some discussion of ambiguous questions on the 501(c)(3) paperwork. Discussed getting assistance from people who have done this before. We may need to re-draft the bylaws, without the editorial description of what we do as an organization. The descriptive text form the bylaws can probably be re-used for the ‘narrative description’ in the 501(c)(3) paperwork. Paul Biggs will follow up with Steve Gehlen for help with the 501(c)(3) paperwork.

Finance committee update. Roughly $2,800 in Ignite Portland 2 sponsorships. Saltmine and Kevin Spence have committed to sponsoring. Amounts from these sponsors are still being determined. No sponsorship tiers. We are asking for $250 as an entry sponsorship level. There is some flexibility below $250, in some circumstances. Discussed whether a meal will be paid for at the event – this has not yet ben determined. The decision is based on the amount of sponsorship dollars collected. We do not have a bank account yet. Todd Kenefsky will do this by next week. Accepting sponsor pledges now – not taking funds until the account is setup. Talked about fees related to PayPal and the possibility of getting a Merchant Account. We will encourage sponsors to send a check to avoid PayPal fees, if possible. Discussed setting a fiscal year. The board tentatively approved (non-vote) October 1st as the beginning of the fiscal year, pending more investigation. Selena Deckelmann and Adam Duvander volunteered to join the finance committee. The finance committee will consist of Todd Kenefsky, Selena Deckelmann, and Adam Duvander.

Update on Legion of Tech logo design effort. Audrey Eschright displayed seven logo concepts drawn by Katie Moody. The board prefers the first concept, which includes a cog design with the letters LT – want to revisions to this concept including more circuit board and electrical ideas. Colors will be explored. Justin Kistner will provide color feedback by tomorrow (01/11/08).

Update on Ignite Portland 2. $800 will be required in food and drink from the Bagdad Theater. $450 for insurance will required. A large number of submissions already. The deadline is January 15th. Discussed various presentation proposals. Adam Duvander will contact David Vanadia, asking him to submit a different topic for consideration before the deadline.

Update on Ignite Portland 3. Sean Lowry from Prospera Events will cover space within the Oregon Convention Center as part of the InnoTech Conference, which takes place on April 16/17. We’d have to pay for food/drink cost. Look for a showcase sponsor to pay for the entire catering cost. Need to confirm that Sean is covering insurance, A/V, all costs other than food, and will provide marketing input. Raven Zachary will follow-up.

Update on Startupalooza. DNS problems with the website being resolved right now with GoDaddy. First meeting for Startuplooza is tomorrow. Speakers are starting to be lined up now. Looking at sponsorships. Demos and presentations for the format. The date is Mach 29th at Cubespace from 12noon to 7pm. Todd Kenefsky is leading this effort.

Update on BarCamp Portland 2. Trying to nail down a date. It is probably going to be May 2/3/4. We are going to include Sunday this year. Dawn is going to talk to Eva about hosting at Cubespace.

Update on Portland Social Media Club. We do not want the Legion of Tech to take responsibility for this group. Justin Kistner will approach Marshall Kirkpatrick about taking this on.

Talked about a different time for Legion of Tech board meetings. 5:30pm start is not ideal for a number of members. We are going to move the start time to 5:45pm for the next meeting.

Discussed idea for the Legion of Tech Kick-off party. This will not be sponsored – people will pay for their own food and drink. This will be held sometime after Ignite Portland 2, probably in February. A date and time needs to be set. Explored various venue ideas for this event. Todd Kenefsky is the point of contact for this.

Discussed an idea of doing a regular happy hour event ongoing. This will be explored in the future. The focus will be on the kick-off party for now.

Discussed the idea of doing a centralized system for discussions of various tech groups and events in one space. Agreed to wait for the time being and explore in the future.

Discussed doing a geek family picnic / coder fest at a park in the spring. More details later.

Discussed Planet PDX – a blog aggregator that involve tech or geek blogs in Portland. Audrey Eschright is working on this. Discussed putting this under the Legion of Tech domain or having its own domain.